Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Teaching Clinical Students...

I have been teaching clinicals for over 2 years, which is roughly half of the time I have been a real nurse. I started clinical teaching because of a deal I couldn't pass up...free tuition for an MSN class, paid teaching, plus a stipend (and $ for mileage because I commuted over an hour!)....and it turned out to be a great experience.
Truth is, I've always loved teaching. Back when I worked at a large chain grocery store, I was a "store trainer", and then when I waited tables at a popular restaurant, I was also a "server trainer". All of which may have prepared me to train people. Teaching nursing isn't all that different, however the outcomes are a little more serious than a steak coming out a little too rare.
I like the daily, hands-on experience, and the opportunity to see things from a student's perspective again. They get so excited to do something I now see as routine or simple, such as dc'ing a foley. They doubt themselves, or maybe I should say they don't give themselves credit because they know SO MUCH. They just need help realizing it, and that's why I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment